Home > Blogs > Trekking > Why we trek to Everest Base camp trek

Why we trek to Everest Base camp trek

From the very first steps of today’s hikes I could tell I was definitely on the mend Of Everest Base camp trek  .Ever more snow, but now what seemed rivers of ice, at one point we traversed a bolder section of terrain which must have crumbled off the side of a nearby mountain. By midday, after our days trek complete, settling in at 4,910, another extremely difficult days hike behind us. 
The wind blew quiet fierce most of the day with ever more snow coming down, the weather had definitely turned for the worst.
The talk at supper was that an attempt to make the final days trek might not be possible due to the continuing snow. However, before bed the decision was made to trek on.Everest Base Camp years ago at 5,150 meters now home to a few tea house, shelter and food. The 3 hour return hike to the now Base Camp is ahead of us, here we drop any extra gear taking in necessaries for the hike to base camp then back, what will be a 7 hour day in difficult weather conditions. At this point I’m committed in my head to make the entire trek but will reassess my personal condition in combination with what would be required to attain the final 200 meters elevation. This has been an incredibly difficult hike, in which my health has been far from ideal. I believe I have lost about 10 lbs since we began and this is of concern to me. Mainly in my ability to finish. My appetite remains very muted, I force down each mouthful of food. I know I’m not eating nearly enough. Several people have decided to turn back with a few others waiting to see if the weather will improve, with still others debating back and forth if they have enough strength. All in all it’s not a very happy scene. As if said, I myself also have my doubts but also take that as part of the mental battle it takes to do these kinds of major hikes. 
The weather has been so fierce I’m estimating half the people that made to day 7 have turned around. With the morning hike under our belt we take lunch ( me and my polish buddy) and with porter and guide decide we will attempt the 3 hour return trip to EBC – our final destination within reach. 10 people are ready to go. We leave just after noon in good spirits and make our way up. 30 minutes in the guides say it’s just to nasty, we must turn around and head back. Once at our sheltered tea house it’s decided we will make an attempt tomorrow or when the weather settles. A quiet night in store I tell myself can only help my strength and with it a healthier attitude. 
This days hike was everything you imagine it would be when approaching Everest – nasty, the wind blowing so hard it almost took you off your feet. Scaling boulders, frozen rivers, up and down and up and down again all the while trying to minimize any energy burn, with slow, steady steps, matching breath to movement. The air is so thin up here above 4,000 for me you find your always trying to take in deep lung filling oxygen, but without satisfying results. I just can’t find the words to describe how very taxing this day was. 
The last 1/2 day exposed a magnificent view of Khumbu Glacier and Ice Field. Khumbu is the worlds highest glazier and borders Everest. Our vantage point above the glazier and ice sheet (running I do know 10 – 20 kilometres) stopped my breath. I sat for several minutes, several times and said over and over wow, just wow.
Now since our first attempt failed we will therefore stay an extra day and make a second attempt tomorrow. The weather is suppose to clear so chances are good. 
It is decided that we will attempt the final 3 hours to Base Camp at 4:30am which seems kinda crazy to me. The guides and porters want to do this that after returning we can start back down the mountain and get in at least 15 k on the return trip. 
We arise at 4:00 am and the weather is as bad as it could be. At -25 with a blustery 40 plus k wind blowing carrying snow, it is fully winter out there and from what I can see no better than the day before in which we turned around. 7 of us begin our trek in the dark with headlamps which help marginally. The terrain is absolutely the most difficult, First, just walking upward in the blowing wind, then we begin to traverse, climb and navigate our way thru a snow covered boulder wall. There is no discernible path that I can see, just places where one is able to make forward progress up, around and over snow covered boulders. Within the first 15 minutes I’m out of breath, the group moving at a pace which is unsustainable for me. As I attempt to match the pace, I am literally heaving for air. 30 minutes in I think I’m getting dizzy but it’s so cold I can’t really assess my condition that well. As we move onward and upward I begin to lose my ability for solid foot placement and I’m staggering, totally winded. I’m now frozen, hands very cold (which is my weak point in the cold due to previous accidents which limit my blood flow). I call for a rest/stop and the group stops. At this point I’m thinking I can’t make it and am concerned I can even make it back to camp. I decide to turn around only 45 minutes for the end goal after 10 1/2 days. The decision turns out to be a good one as I am suffering badly, staggering and concerned I’ll make it back to camp. Wondering to myself, when did this turn into a life or death trek. With the help of my porter/guide we do make it back to camp totally and completely exhausted . I am of course disappointed and a little upset. Mostly it’s the weather that has put a roadblock up for me to finish. 
After breakfast the group has returned jubilant and I share their joy. Now to dig up enough strength to make the return 65k trek in 3 days. I’ve personally think I’ve done well I’m telling myself. At 63 I’m definitely one of the older people making this journey (met a few people in the 50’s) My body has performed admirably, my mind has won almost every battle and my soul has been the solid ground. While a little disappointed I was so close (within 45 minutes) I’m bolstered by knowing that if the weather had been different I could have done it. Which is probably why most people don’t try this in winter. 

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *